[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
StompBoxZone • View topic - Synth Talk

Synth Talk

Synths, Recording Gear...

Re: Synth Talk

Postby skugga » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:16 pm

skugga
Gold Member
Site Admin

Postby nathanscribe » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:01 am

Oh I dunno. I'm only on my tablet right now, and this demo was recorded on a crappy mic, but I think it shows promise.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZUDxfW ... ata_player
nathanscribe
Gold Member
BossArea Gold Member

Postby Pepe » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:19 am

This man is one of the main developers at Waldorf, as it seems. He says in another video that this synth is built to emulate the Solina or KORG Lambda and similar string machines. I think that we won't hear a demo too soon without all these phaser and filter sounds. The 70's string machines had the Ensemble Chorus and in many cases no filter at all.

But anyway, I'm happy with what I have here and I don't have to search for little toy boxes like this one.
Pepe
Multi Platinum Member
BossArea Double Platinum Member

Postby Pepe » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:06 am

Well, I was wrong. Here is indeed finally a few samples of the direct output - and some without effects, too:

Pepe
Multi Platinum Member

Postby nathanscribe » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:33 am

Sounds OK to my ears. If I was in the market for a stringer, I'd much rather buy that than spend at least the same on something that will break down every few weeks and might only do one of those sounds itself. I like the voice patch particularly. Not a very good demo, but the sound comes through OK enough to suggest this might be a good compact reliable replacement for my constantly problematic old Roland...
nathanscribe
Gold Member
BossArea Gold Member

Postby Pepe » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:38 am

Do you know a pedal that produces the genuine Ensemble Chorus like the old string machines? The guys at sequencer.de recommended me the (430€!) or the , but these are expensive 19'' rack units.

Did anyone do this in the pedal format? If not, then I hope that KORG might produce it one day, just like the NuVibe. Seems like lots of people are on the search for the REAL tone again nowadays. :ugeek:
Pepe
Multi Platinum Member

Postby nathanscribe » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:44 am

Well the problem if you want analogue chorus like the old ones is that these ensemble circuits used a LOT of parts. Typically either 3 or 4 BBD units, plus associated circuitry. It's possible to cram all that (with the use of SMD) into a pedal enclosure - my EHX Deluxe Memory Man 1100 uses 4 through-hole BBDs amid a load of SMD - but the market is probably so small I'd have thought most pedal-bound copies would be digital instead.

Maybe Eventide, but then you're looking at the same kind of money.
nathanscribe
Gold Member
BossArea Gold Member

Postby charmonder » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:05 pm

This isn't a practical solution, but one company did make a string synth pedal, make sure to check out the demonstration tape!
charmonder
Gold Member

Postby Pepe » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:44 am

It has arrived! :D

It's very dusty and sadly some parts are rusty, but overall it's in good condition. The filter is fully opened all the time, though, no matter what I do. I hope it's a broken solder joint or a defective potentiometer only.
Pepe
Multi Platinum Member

Postby nathanscribe » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:02 am

Nice. I shall expect a PM, shall I..? :D
nathanscribe
Gold Member
BossArea Gold Member

PreviousNext

Return to High Tech