FB-2

FB-2

Postby Goran » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:16 am

Got it at last :D

Have tried FB-2 for half an hour and the first impression is that it´s a great pedal, really expressive.
The boost section has a wide range of sounds, from clean boost to heavy mid boost, and all settings sound good to me. This is the most versatile booster I ever tried. It can create great feedback tones without engaging the feedback section, with the right amount of volume on the amp.

Kicking in the feedback gives a rising volume before the feedback occurs, very natural sounding. Great sounds when bending strings!
The feedback function works best when there is some volume at the amp, I suppose it works together with the speaker and this makes the sound very, very natural. In a way it acts like a booster within the booster. Together with the four knobs there are a lot of variation.
The feedback section can´t be runned alone, the booster kicks in at the same time. Not a bad thing as it would sound unatural when suddely a feedback tone would jump out from a low volume sound.
When the foot pedal is released the feedback quits abrubtly, well this could be better, but the way around this is to take a new note before releasing.
Compared to DF-2 the feedback made FB-2 is much better, much more natural sounding.

A great peadal from Boss and the first booster ever, if we don´t count the boost setting of FZ-2.

Edit: Now I´ve used it with OD´s, distortions and fuzzes, with even greater result. The feedback section shines here, I could get infinite sustain at very low levels, great for bed room playing.
Booster/feedbacker before or after dirt boxes get different results, of course, and there are a lot of experimenting waiting.
The feedbacker, I think, uses a heavily set compressor and a gain stage, you could actually get the sound of a CS-1 here. So it´s nothing very un-natural to the sound, just a compressed sound.
This pedal is a very funny to "play" with :)
Last edited by Goran on Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Goran
Copper Member
BossArea Double Platinum Member

Re: FB-2

Postby Arpeggiator » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:21 am

Cool, I'm gonna get myself one, too.

I liked the DF-2's feedback function - I worked around its abrupt fading with a delay.
Arpeggiator
Silver Member
BossArea Gold Member

Postby strangekomet » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:44 am

great review, cheers! :lager:
i suppose i should thank you for the sudden gas attack i just had too...
strangekomet
Silver Member
BossArea Gold Member

Postby Pepe » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:41 am

I'll buy it soon as well! And if it is only to test it against the DF-2 and to make several demos with these two and sell them afterwards again. 8-)
Pepe
Multi Platinum Member
BossArea Double Platinum Member

Postby DeFrag » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:50 am

Great review Goran! Thanks alot. ;)

Sorry I haven't reviewed my own yet.. too busy researching & buying sound equipment for one of my son's Xmas (another Mackie mixer).

I can't wait for things to settle down so I can try it out.
I've a couple week vacation coming up so I should be able to verify your findings with the Feedbacker.
DeFrag
Silver Member
BossArea Multi Platinum Member

Postby Ashton » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:04 am

I picked it up with the bc-2 a couple weeks ago, but then boss area went down (still bummed), my initial impression was not nearly as nice as Gorans, I found the bc-2 more useful and fun. Went thru a couple different rehersals and shows and used bc-2, but not the fb-2. I think for a smaller rig it's great, but I'm already playing thru 2 x 4x12's, and it's loud and feedback ridden normally lol. But at home with my little practice amp at home, a Mesa F-50, it seems more useful.

I dont seem to have any use for it as a boost, just a feedbacker, but then again I play in different bands metal and punk, so it's just noise already. That's probably my problem right there!
Ashton
Silver Member

Postby Laurie » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:22 am

I ordered mine yesterday....
Laurie
Multi Platinum Member
BossArea Multi Platinum Member

Postby missica » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:37 am

Thanks Goran. Very useful and great review. Now I want one!
missica
Silver Member

Return to Boss Pedals