[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
StompBoxZone • View topic - Odd Voice Mic Set Up

Odd Voice Mic Set Up

Synths, Recording Gear...

Odd Voice Mic Set Up

Postby mismas1 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:49 am

I am setting up how the vocals will be processed for live sound instead of just scream my head off. I'm looking for some of that waving minsitry sound, plus something that bring my voice way deeper so I don't loose my voice for a week after every show. So I am looking at the best mic to do this with and how I can get these voice modulations? I'm sure pedals won't do it, so I am asking the experts.

1. What is the best mic to achieve this sort of constant change, and blow up on the first go around.

2. How I can set this sort of vocal arrangement where each song may have a different effect.

Thank for anyone who can help.

John
mismas1
New User

Re: Odd Voice Mic Set Up

Postby Dirk » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:19 am

Have you checked this pedal?

Dirk
Double Platinum Member
BossArea Double Platinum Member

Postby DarrinPA » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:18 pm

Digitech also makes a . Any mic should be fine, the effects doesn't change the amount of power going through the mic, so nothing bad can happen. Most concert venues use the Shure SM58 or the Beta 58. Although it really depends on your voice: Audix OM2 has a presence boost and yet is great at avoiding feedback, Sennheiser e835 sounds beautiful and truely doesn't suffer from the 'proximity effect' like most other mics do, the Electro-Voice nd767 is a lesser known model but worth checking out.

"something that bring my voice way deeper so I don't loose my voice for a week after every show" Are you singing hardcore or screamo? Because there are techniques for those styles that don't require you to actually scream, yell, ect. Youtube has a bunch of tutorials on False Chord, Fry Screaming, and Growling. Don't blow out your voice. Adding a pitch shifted lower octave with the effect processor should also fatten up your vocals. Good Luck. :thumbs:

[EDIT] Another thing to consider is to use a very cheap mic, one that can't handle high SPL to purposely max it out and get a natural distortion. That's more common to do in the studio when double tracking but it could work live also.
DarrinPA
Silver Member

Postby Dirk » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:15 am

James Hetfield used an old Shure bullet mic for the Metallica song "Poor twisted me" from the Load album.
That mic is normally used for harmonica, but the distortion he gets with it is perfect for the song, check it on YT.

Come to think of it, the echo on his guitar is equally awe inspiring!
Dirk
Double Platinum Member
BossArea Double Platinum Member

Return to High Tech