[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
StompBoxZone • View topic - Fractal Axe-FX II XL

Fractal Axe-FX II XL

Synths, Recording Gear...

Re: Fractal Axe-FX II XL

Postby natthu » Mon May 19, 2014 3:07 pm

natthu
Double Platinum Member
BossArea Multi Platinum Member

Postby Laurie » Mon May 19, 2014 3:23 pm

Laurie
Multi Platinum Member

Postby Pepe » Mon May 19, 2014 3:59 pm

Okay. If the maestro says so, I'm glad that I also have a GHF! :D

Did you already try to use your remaining pedals through your current amp lineup and then switch back to the Axe-FX after a while? Is there only ear-fatigue in the latter case?
Pepe
Multi Platinum Member
BossArea Double Platinum Member

Postby DarrinPA » Wed May 21, 2014 8:24 pm

Sorry to hear that it didn't work out for you. It seemed like it had unlimited potential, but without unlimited time I can see how that can become a problem. I've seen a few rig rundowns of famous artists who used the fractual unit, but later on no longer have it in there set up. They always seem happy with it but perhaps they suffer from the same problem? Anyways, good luck on finding your tone with a setup you are happy with.
DarrinPA
Silver Member

Postby skugga » Wed May 21, 2014 11:23 pm

skugga
Gold Member
Site Admin

Postby Laurie » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:32 am

So I've had the Axe FX for sale for a while with no takers. Fractal recently lowered the price of the new units so it seems unlikely I'll get what I need out of it.

Because of this, I've been poking around to see if I can get it to sound like I need it to sound...

Here's something interesting. ALL the full-range speakers I've tried it with have been new. Everything from studio monitors to 1000W front-of-house speakers. And every one has sounded harsh.

Last night a good mate who works at the local music store brought over one of his powered live monitors. He has a band that plays live at least once a week so these speakers have been used hard for years. They are also ex-rental so they had a hard life before he got them. The Axe sounds awesome through this thing. Let me say that again - it sounds exactly how it should. No harshness, plenty of character.

It was night and day. We played for hours with no fatigue and a great appreciation of the tone. I am now bought back into the concept.

It would appear that the Axe needs very well broken in speakers. Or maybe it's simply the brand/model we were using (Yorkville NX). So I'm going to borrow a couple of ex-rental ones from the local music store and give it a go.

Fingers crossed........
Laurie
Multi Platinum Member

Postby Laurie » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:13 pm

Think I might have cracked the tone problem... the trick is not to use new speakers. Well broken in appears to be required.

I picked up a couple of ex-rental Yorkville NX55p powered mid-highs, both with 500+ days rental history. Sound is smooth and clear with no harshness.

I am now into this crazy journey for CAD$5000. I'm thankful I had a couple of guitars and amps to sell to pay for the madness.

Is it worth $5000? I'm not sure - the jury will be out until I've bonded with it properly. If that happens then, yes. It already sounds like a matched pair of Fender Twins and a stereo pair of Marshall plexis. Well over $5000 worth of amps there...

Img_1426sml.jpg
Img_1426sml.jpg (339.43 KiB) Viewed 5676 times
Laurie
Multi Platinum Member

Postby Pepe » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:25 am

Seems like the people at Fractal have to program a new algorithm: selectable output to old/new speakers.
Pepe
Multi Platinum Member
BossArea Double Platinum Member

Previous

Return to High Tech