[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
StompBoxZone • View topic - One for Pepe

One for Pepe

Synths, Recording Gear...

Re: One for Pepe

Postby Pepe » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:20 am

I have discovered another negative aspect weeks ago, but I wasn't sure if the original MS-20 models react in the same way. As I could read in the accompanying comments of a German MS-20 mini review today, my feeling was right:

If you change the sustain value of EG2, the filters change their cutoff values, which is a bit annoying. I know no other synth that reacts this way. That's the only real mistake in the new model. Of course you can always adjust the cutoff values to your taste, but still it's a bit sad that it works this way. :?

But all in all the experts say that the "mini" reacts and sounds just like an original MS-20 (and even all the orignal models differ in sound and overall behaviour), or at least to 99%. I am still very pleased with this beast and I have problems to keep my hands off it.
Pepe
Multi Platinum Member
BossArea Double Platinum Member

Postby nathanscribe » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:19 am

nathanscribe
Gold Member
BossArea Gold Member

Postby Pepe » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:29 pm

Hmmm... someone who has an original MS-20 said in that comment that his old exemplar doesn't do that. But what you say makes sense now. Maybe that's no negative aspect at all. Thanks for clearing that up.
Pepe
Multi Platinum Member

Postby nathanscribe » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:11 pm

Well the schematics bear it out - both the regular output and reverse output from EG-2 use Sustain as a zero-modulation (0V) level.

Interestingly, EG-1 in reverse mode doesn't go down from 0 to -5V, but from 5V to 0V.
nathanscribe
Gold Member
BossArea Gold Member

Postby Pepe » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:18 pm

Exactly, 'cause this one can also be used for the VCA which goes from 0 ~ +5V. ;)
Pepe
Multi Platinum Member

Postby nathanscribe » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:39 am

Hey Pepe, I posted a new blog on the Lambda: waveforms and filters this time. Nerd-tastic.

http://synthnerd.wordpress.com/2013/08/ ... filtering/
nathanscribe
Gold Member
BossArea Gold Member

Postby Pepe » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:55 am

I'll have a look at it in the next days. Just yesterday I checked if there was new content! :)

I have a German synthesizer magazine from 2009 with an article about refurbishing a KORG Lambda. I bought it just for you. If I see anything of worth, I will translate it for you.
There's also a nice article about the EMS Synthi A. Image
Pepe
Multi Platinum Member

Postby nathanscribe » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:08 am

Oh wow! Cool! I'd love to see that!
nathanscribe
Gold Member
BossArea Gold Member

Postby Pepe » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:15 pm

Well... I read the article today. There isn't anything too fascinating inside. A few nice pics where the author shows the damaged wooden side frames and how he refurbished them. And information about how he equipped his model with a Doepfer MIDI to Gate interface (you just need to solder 192 cables - interested? ;) ). The main issue with his exemplar was a defective IC for the second oscillator which he was able to replace. Oh, and a screw refused to come off, so he had to drill it through. Less thrilling than I imagined. :?
Pepe
Multi Platinum Member

Postby nathanscribe » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:03 pm

MIDI is for losers :lol:

What did he use to replace a defective oscillator part? Was it the Top Octave chip that had gone, or something easily obtainable?

One of mine also needs a screw drilling out. It's not an exciting life we lead, fixing these things. :D

Cheers Pepe!
nathanscribe
Gold Member
BossArea Gold Member

PreviousNext

Return to High Tech