[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
StompBoxZone • View topic - KORG BX-3 & CX-3 stage organ thread

KORG BX-3 & CX-3 stage organ thread

Synths, Recording Gear...

Re: KORG BX-3 double manual vintage stage organ

Postby Pepe » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:17 pm

I am puzzled.

I got the 4069 ICs in the buffered version. I replaced the one that could have been faulty (with a socket) and the problem remained. I have already replaced IC1 and IC2 (4558) a while ago. I also replaced IC3 (4558) an hour ago. Didn't change anything. I also crimped new contacts to the connector that goes to the main board for the percussion thing. Didn't change anything.

BUT!

Yesterday when I started to desolder the old 4069 inverter, all of a sudden a metal washer fell from the pcb. It must have been there for quite a while - somewhere hidden between some parts - and I haven't discovered it until it fell down! I suppose it fell on that pcb the same day when the percussion function refused to work correctly.

Unfortunately I cannot really tell you where it was stuck. I have seen in which area it must have been hiding, because of the direction of the fall. I suppose it was in the area of VR7 (http://robert.weathergreen.com/bx3/klm245_pcb.gif). There are lots of components. My stab in the dark is that it could have blown a transistor. What do you think? And which one could it be? :|

Here's the percussion schematic again:

So far I think that all the electrolytic capacitors have been replaced correctly. All the electrolytics are brand new. The 4558's and the 4069 work like a charm (so I think). There is no real possibility that IC1 or IC2 may have been influenced by the metal washer. I would have seen the washer while replacing these ICs. I just wonder that it could hide for such a long time. I have worked at that board several times in the meantime. :?

What else apart from transistors may have refused to work?
Pepe
Multi Platinum Member
BossArea Double Platinum Member

Postby Pepe » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:34 am

Almost six months later...

I finally received the repaired circuit board today! The most competent guy, Robert Weatherford at Parastream Technologies, repaired it for me in his lab in the USA in exchange for a few rare organ chips. I will put the pcb back inside the BX-3 tonight. Seems that the organ will finally work to 100%! :bouncy:
Pepe
Multi Platinum Member

Postby Laurie » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:45 am

Ohhhh... I'd forgotten about pepe's organ 8-)

Glad to hear it's nearly done!
Laurie
Multi Platinum Member
BossArea Multi Platinum Member

Postby natthu » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:09 am

Demo video with full oom-pah backing band please.... or just the organ... whichever is easiest.
natthu
Double Platinum Member

Postby Pepe » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:11 am

I've had something in mind for several months already. ;)
Pepe
Multi Platinum Member

Postby Pepe » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:30 pm

Pepe
Multi Platinum Member

Postby Laurie » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:15 pm

It's not real until we see the (as usual amazingly produced) video clip...
Laurie
Multi Platinum Member

Postby Pepe » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:26 am

You doubting Thomas! :D
Pepe
Multi Platinum Member

Postby Pepe » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:16 am

By the way, this is how the faulty percussion section sounded before I sent the circuit board to Parastream Technologies:

EDIT: video deleted by myself.
Last edited by Pepe on Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pepe
Multi Platinum Member

Postby Pepe » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:53 am

Small thread revival. This is a picture that I made a few days ago for a German synthesizer forum:

I hope to find the time for a demo song next year.
Pepe
Multi Platinum Member

PreviousNext

Return to High Tech