[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
StompBoxZone • View topic - Amps and what most of you use................

Amps and what most of you use................

Re: Amps and what most of you use................

Postby zentropa » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:19 am

Yeah. It makes it harder to steer friends and the like to "good stuff on a budget."

I am a pretty "classic tone" type of guy. Back when i gigged i stopped using any effects pedals in like 1996 and have only gigged 2 different amps since then. I had my '68 twin reverb and a mid 90's jcm900 combo.

I still have the jcm900 combo.

I havent gigged since 2001 now and sustained two major injuries to my left hand since then, so im more of a hobbyist at best. My job sucks and i dont have much of a financial cushion so i try not to get too attached to things or have a hierarchy of the order they will go in. I also will go 2-years of barely playing only to come back and be way into it again. these weigh in on my Purchasing decisions because if i buy anything expensive, i would prefer it be able to sit there in the corner for two years practically untouched only to have it be worth more money than when i bought it :)

It seems like the trends over the past decade have been to either add features, e.g. A 4 channel preamp, or go super simple e.g. Low wattage Class A tube amps with 3 knobs. Sadly the trend has gone away from things i like, e.g. Tubes and speakers that weren't made in china, big gigantic power transformers, etc.

Cleans i like super reverbs and pro reverbs.
Dirty i like 80's and early 90's marshalls, 80's and 90's orange, soldano class ab stuff, etc.

It's just a bummer when i try to find a 90's mig and only find one in the entire metro and it's $800 instead of $300. It's like wtf :p
zentropa
Gold Member

Postby techhed » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:08 pm

I use a Peavey Valveking 212 combo. It has awesome cleans, and the overdrive channel is pretty good too! I never use the gain or volume boost switches. I get a good rock distortion but to kick it into heavier territory I use an SD-1 for a boost.
techhed
Bronze Member

Postby Brian_R » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:24 pm

Marshall JVM215c
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 1x12
Fender Princeton Chorus 2x12 (for practice upstairs by my computer)
Brian_R
Copper Member

Postby sclitheroe » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:48 pm

'59 Bassman LTD is essentially the only amp I use at this point. I love it to pieces, even though I can't ever crank it. Takes pedals fantastically.

I also have a Greta with matching cab, and my JC-120. Like both of them as well, but the Bassman is my "destination" amp - it's the last amp I'll ever need.
sclitheroe
Platinum Member

Postby Dirk » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:32 am

A little update here; we currently moved to a different rehearsal space which belongs to a band that uses IEM's on stage, but also in their rehearsal room.
So they have this big mixer set up, and everybody relies on headphones/IEM's to hear one another, keeping all the volumes as low as you can get it, and there's also still an acoustic drumkit.

I've been using my little GK combo DI'ed into the mixer which is okay; but I figured since I don't really nééd the speaker I could actually use my Ampeg preamp as well.
So I've been testing with it at home, DI'd into my Fasttrack audio interface into a little mixer and my stereo, along with my PC's line out into a 2nd channel and it sounds really, really good.
I'm pleased with the results, even my EBS bass overdrive sounds great. Both through my headphones and my stereo's speakers.

So next time, I'll bring my bass, the preamp and some pedals to rehearsal and that'll be the lightest setup I ever had, while
the guitar players are still lugging around with their tube amps and heavy cabinets.... :lol:
Dirk
Double Platinum Member
BossArea Double Platinum Member

Postby visserman » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:14 am

visserman
Gold Member
BossArea Platinum Member

Postby Mosher Zone » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:18 pm

I've been using a Marshall 3210 mosfet head for a couple of years now, billed as the non valve JCM 800. I love it but use it clean with a Line 6 Uber Metal for my distortion. For a cab I have been using the same one for 18 years, a Marshall 1982(A) 320w.
Mosher Zone
Silver Member

Postby Dirk » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:00 am

Dirk
Double Platinum Member
BossArea Double Platinum Member

Postby visserman » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:41 am

visserman
Gold Member
BossArea Platinum Member

Previous

Return to Amps