[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
StompBoxZone • View topic - 10" speaker opinions

10" speaker opinions

10" speaker opinions

Postby Mully » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:45 am

Heya,

I'm wanting some new speakers for my 4x10 cabinet. and currently I'm thinking either Eminence Legend 1058 or WGS G10C/S speakers.
buying speakers is tough since you can't send them back should they not sound like you want them so some opinions would be welcome.

if you've played one of these - let me know if you liked them or not and what you liked (or didn't) about them

also if you have another option I should consider let me know as well (just remember that I need four of those so unfortunately no expensive stuff)

thanks,
mully
Mully
Platinum Member
BossArea Double Platinum Member

Re: 10" speaker opinions

Postby sclitheroe » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:43 am

What don't you like about your existing speakers?
sclitheroe
Platinum Member

Postby Laurie » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:21 pm

I used 1058's in my Vibrolux reissue and didn't really like them. Too much upper-mids. Good for vintage middy tone.

If you are looking for mellow(?) then not 1058's.
Laurie
Multi Platinum Member
BossArea Multi Platinum Member

Postby Mully » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:22 pm

the original ones (already sold them to fund the new ones) were the stock speakers made by Eminence to Mesa Boogie specs. they were Alnico speakers supposedly close to the 1028P's from eminence. they sounded great clean but I didn't care for how they sounded with dirt pedals. they had an (really high) upper mid focus I didn't care for.... while the top end was kinda muffled. dirt pedals always sounded harsh and brittle with them...

that's why I'm leaning towards the G10C/S with the smooth cone hoping that it will be a smooth and mellow sound that's anything but harsh. the Legend 1058 were intriguing because I think they are the same speakers that came stock in the red knob Fender Princeton Chorus amps which were great little speakers with a little scoop in the mids and non brittle highs (I could be wrong though - they do "look" very much the same though)
Mully
Platinum Member

Postby Mully » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:23 pm

Mully
Platinum Member

Postby Laurie » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:27 pm

FYI - I never did find a 10" speaker that sounded good to me in that amp. Ended up selling the amp.

On the other hand... 40+ year old jensen/fender speakers in the 1966 Super Reverb that replaced the Vibrolux sounded awesome.

If you can find vintage fully broken-in speakers for a reasonable price, that might be the way to go. I just bought a pair of 10" for my Garnet amp rebuild (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3726&p=40422&hilit=garnett#p40400).

They came from a 1950's organ (it had 9 of them - they are only rated at about 10 watts). They were cheap - about $20 each. 4 of them would give you 40W power handling. Is that enough?
Laurie
Multi Platinum Member

Postby Mully » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:34 pm

my amp only has 1 watt so 40 watts are plenty
hard to find nice vintage speakers for a small buck over here though.
Mully
Platinum Member

Postby Laurie » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:38 pm

Laurie
Multi Platinum Member

Postby Mully » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:11 pm

super nice offer but I'm not sure if shipping 4 speakers across the pond is cheaper than purchasing some here.
there's always the german customs that want their share as well.

If I end up going the vintage route and don't find some over here I might come back to you about this though.

I noticed that they are smooth cone speakers as well. and alnicos if I'm not mistaken.
Mully
Platinum Member

Postby Laurie » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:03 pm

Laurie
Multi Platinum Member

Next

Return to Amps