[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
StompBoxZone • View topic - Plugging Straight into the Pre-amp of your amplifier

Plugging Straight into the Pre-amp of your amplifier

Plugging Straight into the Pre-amp of your amplifier

Postby visserman » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:52 am

To be able to do this you may need to modify your amp.
I have one amp, which is modified for this purpose, it also let me use the pre-amp as a line out, so it functions both ways.

The amp in question is a bass amp, and the sound straight out of the pre-amp is lovely: No more tone controls work, even the volume control does not do much. Most of this relates to how the engineer has done the job. It has been done a long, long time ago. Plugging into it recently made me realise how good the sound really is: It is almost like you plug straight into a mixer, but it still keeps the feel of playing through an amp.

Have not posted anything for a little while, but still working away with all kind of things, checking out various pedals and other things.

Anyway, has anyone done something like the above, or do I make you curious here?
Cheers
visserman
Gold Member
BossArea Platinum Member

Re: Plugging Straight into the Pre-amp of your amplifier

Postby Dirk » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:42 am

Do you perhaps mean into the power amp? Seems to me the input already goes straight into the preamp..... :?

Not sure what you mean here?
Dirk
Double Platinum Member
BossArea Double Platinum Member

Postby Mosher Zone » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:15 am

Mosher Zone
Silver Member

Postby visserman » Wed May 04, 2016 8:00 am

Hmmm you may be right, yes of course, it will be power amp, since there are not tone controls there, basically just amplifies instrument without any tonal colouration. Well, you still get some colour, but not as much as with pre-amp.

As said before, the mod. has been done a long time ago, have not used it all that much, but when I did so last week I really liked the sound.

I also have these moments when I like something in particular sound wise, and at another moment in time, the same sound may not appeal that much to me at all. But I guess we all have some of these things. I have not set things as "I love that sound or dislike that sound" The only thing which I value is that the instrument being used will keep much of its natural tone and feel so you can use it any way you like.
visserman
Gold Member
BossArea Platinum Member

Postby Guga Ramone » Wed May 04, 2016 1:16 pm

Guga Ramone
Silver Member

Postby sciencefriction » Sat May 14, 2016 12:03 pm

I've often thought about building a very neutral sounding power amp for using with "amp in a box" pedals. Then I just end up selling those pedals off before committing to the project. I think it would be a really cool option to have on an amp.. I'm planning to do some mods on my JMP, that might be one to look into.
sciencefriction
Bronze Member

Return to Amps