[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
StompBoxZone • View topic - Distortion / Fuzz friendly combo

Distortion / Fuzz friendly combo

Distortion / Fuzz friendly combo

Postby soldout » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:08 pm

Hello all.

I'm a bedroom pseudo-guitar player. The only combo I have is an Orange 20L that I don't really ride hard since I live in a flat and have no intention to mess up wih the neighbors, That's why I bought a low W combo in the first place.

The issue is that this combo doesn't bode well with distortions of fuzzes. Whenever I step on a fuzz a lose a big deal of signal to the point it just disappears. Almost same thing for distortions.

I have ruled out cables and pedals. Guitar doesn't seem to be an issue, so it comes down to the combo.

Any of you have experienced a similar issue???

Do you know of any especific combos that treat well distortions and fuzzes ???

Thanks
soldout
Copper Member

Re: Distortion / Fuzz friendly combo

Postby Mully » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:37 am

have you turned up the volume on the dirt boxes?

a dirt box is not unlike a compressor without attack or release times.... it will just like a compressor lower the dynamic range of your signal.
so one volume setting on the dirt box can be louder or quieter than your incoming signal depending on how loud that signal is.

so the best way is to set the volume of the dirt box to unity with your guitars hottest signal..... so strum REALLY hard when playing clean and then match that volume with the dirt box.

still... small combos sometimes don't play well with dirt boxes: I had a VHT Special 6 which was a GREAT little clean amp but REALLY sounded shite when driven with a distortion or fuzz.... even overdrives were just a fizzy mess. It didn't matter which speakers I used there were simply too many high frequencies. So if your amp has a bright switch you might wanna try turning that OFF.

Not sure if that was helpful but that's my two cents..... If you wanna buy a new amp simply take a dirt box with you and test it out in the shop.
Mully
Platinum Member
BossArea Double Platinum Member

Postby Laurie » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:37 am

Dr Z Maz 18

Louder than you'd want, but an awesome amp for dirt.
Laurie
Multi Platinum Member
BossArea Multi Platinum Member

Postby soldout » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:26 pm

soldout
Copper Member

Postby fenderjapan » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:20 am

Being a guy with a rig more complex than I ever wanted it to be, I know the pain of "what the hell is it that is causing this problem"

The unfortunate truth is you are going to have to try all variables until you can figure it out. Which means you are going to have to borrow someones amp and see if the same thing happens.

I'm thinking the input section of the orange amp just doesn't "play nice" for some reason I can't articulate, I could throw around phrases like input impedence and things like that but I'd be talking out me arse.

Might be worth trying to power the pedals with batteries (or with an AC Adaptor if you are using batteries) to see if it makes any difference.
fenderjapan
Silver Member

Postby soldout » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:51 am

Hello.

Just a follow up post.

I finally decided to rent a fully equiped rehersal room for 1 hour (for playing drums) and brought along guitar and pedal.

All I can say is that the pedal sounds great when plugged into a quality amp.

Thanks a lot for the answers
soldout
Copper Member

Return to Amps