[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
StompBoxZone • View topic - Boss MG-80 Amp?

Boss MG-80 Amp?

Boss MG-80 Amp?

Postby deancrean » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:25 am

Anybody know anything about these amps? There is one on sale locally for cheap and I am thinking about picking it up! I already have a couple good tube amps, but have been wanting to pick up a solid state amp again to have around. All I would care about is a decent clean channel, because I would be running pedals through it anyways. Supposed to be 80 watts so should be enough power to jam with my band if I run it through my 2-12 Celestion cab I would think.
deancrean
Bronze Member

Re: Boss MG-80 Amp?

Postby Ptak » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:10 am

I'm guessing nobody knows anything about this amp since its been 8 months since this thread was started with no replies? :lol:

I hope you bought it Deancrean! I was looking at some practice amps recently, just something easy to take around and possibly jam with. I was looking at Roland amps when I came across the MG-10 which made me check out the BossArea site only to be surprised by this 80 watt amp. I have to have one now. :mrgreen: It's perfect for what I want... small, light, solidstate, ok wattage, can hook up to a cab and it's a rare Boss item.

Anybody have one for sale or a review about it?

This isn't too bad. I'm gassin boys.
Ptak
Silver Member

Postby Dirk » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:47 am

Interesting, why does it have gain, volume ánd master volume on a single channel head? And what does the "warp" do when you pull the bass control?
Dirk
Double Platinum Member
BossArea Double Platinum Member

Postby Ptak » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:02 pm

On the MG-10 the warp mode says it creates a thicker distortion.

Sadly I can only find MG-10s available for sale at the moment. :( I could definitely find a better practice amp but I have to have one of these MG-80s for the novelty alone. haha :D
Ptak
Silver Member

Postby Ptak » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:03 pm

Well thanks to DB Cooper I got one of these bad boys. I immediately had to leave town but I brought the amp with me.

I can't really play loud but I'm pretty sure the built in distortion is horrible haha I'll have a full review when I come home.

Here it is, with the manual too! :banana:
Attachments
$_57_1080x1440.jpg
$_57_1080x1440.jpg (233.36 KiB) Viewed 6679 times
Ptak
Silver Member

Postby Sinom » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:58 am

Sweet !

Look forward to your review !

:thumbs:
Sinom
Silver Member

Postby Mark123 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:29 am

Cool amp, looks identical to a miniamp I owned in the '90s or so. Must have been the 10. I'm sure this one sounds a lot better. Have fun with it
Mark123
Silver Member

Postby Ptak » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:23 pm

Ptak
Silver Member

Postby Ptak » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:36 am

Ok for my 1st review I played straight into the amp, no pedals with my ESP LTD JH-600 and I also used my Mesa Roadster 2x12.

First off I should state that I'm a hard rock and thrash player so I prefer higher gain settings.

Without the cab, using the distortion at 100% but not using the warp mode which is a higher gain setting, I felt that it was just awful sounding distortion, maybe you can dial in an AC/DC like tone. With the warp mode on I felt I could get a good metal tone for a small practice amp and then boosting the mids, slightly reducing the gain and turning the "volume" knob down a bit allowed me to change it into an okay rock tone. Overall it lacked some clarity and had too much high frequencies. I’d give it a 6.5-7/10.

With the cab, this amp really takes on a new life. It improved the sound quality quite a bit, I was very impressed. It sounded better than some solid state amps I’ve played that were twice the size. The problems of clarity and high frequencies were greatly reduced leaving a pretty good tone. I’d give the sound an 8/10.

My next review I’ll use pedals like the GE-7, some dist/od’s and compression.
Ptak
Silver Member

Postby Mark123 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:31 pm

Found one cheap this weekend and bought it. Hadnt tried it out in the shop and found out at home that one of the two 6" speakers was blown and that the external speaker jack was broken. Easy fix though and it sounds pretty good through a 12" now. Thanks for the tip Ptak.
Mark123
Silver Member

Next

Return to Amps