[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
StompBoxZone • View topic - Bass advice

Bass advice

Bass advice

Postby Gasgano » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:34 am

I am currently looking for good basses out there.

I currently play on an Ibanez SR505. I am looking at what my options are to upgrade to a better quality instrument. I like the fact my Ibanez is lightweight and has a smaller neck than most basses because of the size of my hands. I like its proportions, but it kind of lacks the quality of my guitar (Fender Jim Root Strat).

I owned at a point in time a Musicman Stingray V, all custom colors and what not, and it was a QUALITY instrument. However, its size and weight got the best of me and I realized I was playing better on the 600$ Ibanez than on the 2000$ MusicMan, So I sold it to buy my Fender guitar.

What I am looking for:
- Quality instrument
- Smaller and narrower neck
- 5-string
- Lightweight (maybe not as MUCH as my Ibanez, but not as heavy as the Stingray which was an elbow breaker to me)

I know Ibanez has a "Prestige" line, but I don't know about the quality/price ratio of these. Any of you bass players have experience with something that I might like? I know Musicman has the quality, Fender USA has the quality too, but I'm afraid proportions are too big for me. Anyone using Prestige Ibanez and knows if it's good or bad?
Gasgano
Silver Member

Re: Bass advice

Postby Laurie » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:20 am

I'm using a Stingray SLO
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3186&p=34531&hilit=stingray+slo#p34531

It has the narrower "jazz bass" neck. It is essentially a Stingray body with a Sterling neck. I've never found the weight to be an issue... YMMV.
Laurie
Multi Platinum Member
BossArea Multi Platinum Member

Postby Dirk » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:22 am

I'm afraid I can't be of any assistance here. I only play Precision basses with beefy necks! :lol:

I know Ibanez is a reliable brand name, maybe one of their higher priced models might suit you?
Or what about a Yamaha RBX bass? Those were initially designed for the Japanese market, but may suit you alike.
Dirk
Double Platinum Member
BossArea Double Platinum Member

Postby Gasgano » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:34 am

Awh man.

They do the Sterling now in 5-string? I'm toast. GASing big time.

The stealth black one is my guitar in a bass, with neck dimensions really close to Ibanez. But it's like 2500CAD. Fudge. :cry:
Gasgano
Silver Member

Postby Guga Ramone » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:52 am

I've been using a completely stock 4 string MIM Fender Jazz and I am enjoying it A LOT! Take a look if the 5 string suits you.
Guga Ramone
Silver Member

Postby Laurie » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:37 pm

Laurie
Multi Platinum Member
BossArea Multi Platinum Member

Postby Gasgano » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:39 pm

I guess I should try the Fender Jazz Bass then...
Gasgano
Silver Member

Return to Guitars/Basses