Setting up Whammy Bar , Stratocaster

Setting up Whammy Bar , Stratocaster

Postby pennyroyaltea94 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:32 pm

Hi, I have Single Coil Stratocasters, They both have thoses 3 Big Springs in the back.

I long time ago decided to make my Strings completely flat and so I completely tighten the block,

Now I want to start using whammy bar as Natural Finger Bending isn't working out too well for me.

One is Mexico Fender and the other is Korea Squier.

I complete tighten the screws and screwed the screws in the back completely back into the neck.

Much help is needed.
pennyroyaltea94
Silver Member

Re: Setting up Whammy Bar , Stratocaster

Postby Gasgano » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:51 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7luUzgDwwcs

Google is usually a good starting point because it usually directs to YouTube videos of a dude knowing exactly what you want.
Gasgano
Silver Member

Postby pennyroyaltea94 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:38 pm

2nd Half is best for me,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvEPJTyZM3w&nohtml5

Yeah I completely tight-end the back 2 screws and I will indeed need to unscrew completely just do exactly what he did for install a new one .
pennyroyaltea94
Silver Member

Postby Franzoni » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:47 am

Sounds like what you want to do is 'float' the bridge so you can pull up and down on the arm for vibrato....?... that's how Strats originally come from the factory...

This is easy to do but you need to be handy around a screwdriver and you will need an electronic tuner plus a small spacer for the bridge to maintain the gap..... i think with my US standard strat Fender used to recommend a 4mm spacer.... :guinness: :guinness:
Franzoni
Gold Member
BossArea Double Platinum Member

Postby Pieraga » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:10 pm

You just have to balance the string tension and the tension on the spring claw to your desired floating bridge,, it would take time to adjust and tune it but you'll get used to it, :)
Pieraga
Silver Member

Postby sclitheroe » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:34 am

You were thinking of changing to a heavier string gauge in another thread - if you want to float your bridge, you should try the new heavier strings first, decide if you like them and will stick with them, and then go ahead and float the bridge - changing string gauges will require you to re-float it, as the change in tension will dramatically affect how high the bridge floats.

Also, you've talked about having issues doing bends on strings - you may find floating the bridge helps with this as well (not using a whammy, but just for bends) - the bridge will move a bit when you bend if its set to float - this means you actually have to bend a bit further to hit the same pitch (since the guitar is going slightly flat as you bend), but I also find it gives the guitar a bit more of a squishy feel when bending and makes it easier to get the bend going initially. Your mileage may vary.
sclitheroe
Platinum Member

Return to Guitars/Basses