[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
StompBoxZone • View topic - Anyone here who uses build-in booster in their guitar?

Anyone here who uses build-in booster in their guitar?

Re: Anyone here who uses build-in booster in their guitar?

Postby visserman » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:41 am

Okay three years ago, and I am about to install a preamp on one of my Strats, but maybe before I will get to that let me ask anyone of you here: Does anyone use build in preamps? Any good brands? Just share you experiences!

From a quick research it seems that simplicity is hard to find these days: Units which will let you tweak tone and all kind of levels. I am really looking for just a slight push.

For a great deal of sculpting your sound there is nothing better than a pedal, so really I just want a little boost on my pick-ups to get a bit of sizzle from the amp.

Also want to try this because it means I have done all to a guitar what you can do in terms of modifying: Body, Hardware, Neck, Pick-Ups (all three). So why not eh? I still think it is better to get something you like in the first place, but that is another story. The guitar in case never started out as me wanting it to turn it into a "super guitar". It is not, but I just happen to like it.

Okay back to you and your pre-amps, or why I should stay away from them.
Oh other build in effects are, of course, a complete No-No since the best,useable guitars are the simplest ones: Too many options soundwise make it just a nightmare to get your sound quickly.
visserman
Gold Member
BossArea Platinum Member

Postby Laurie » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:03 am

I use one of these.
http://www.music-man.com/instruments/gu ... he-majesty

It has a 20dB gain booster built in. I rarely use it.
Laurie
Multi Platinum Member
BossArea Multi Platinum Member

Postby Gasgano » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:31 pm

Line 6's Variax Bass actually had their amp processor concepts brought to the bass.

You'd just dial the bass you wanted and it simulated the tone of it. I tried it and will go with the family: Much easier to get around effects with your feet.
Gasgano
Silver Member

Postby Mosher Zone » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:18 am

I like have active circuits in 6 of my 7 guitars, check out this company.

http://www.guitarfuel.com/Tone_Circuits.php

I have the Nitro Booster in two of my guitars, it is a cool little preamp. I also have their Full Throttle in one, great little mid boost.

I also have an EMG PA-2 in one, a EMG Afterburner in another & an Artec mid Boost in another.

They all are great in their own way.
Mosher Zone
Silver Member

Postby Dirk » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:16 am

What does the Afterburner do? Is it a simple volume boost?

I know James Hetfield has one in his "Grynch" guitar, a mean looking black axe with green flames! 8-)
Dirk
Double Platinum Member
BossArea Double Platinum Member

Postby Mosher Zone » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:27 am

Mosher Zone
Silver Member

Postby Dirk » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:28 am

Aha, I see.
Dirk
Double Platinum Member
BossArea Double Platinum Member

Postby Pieces Of The Night » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:00 pm

I just put an Emg SPC into my strat that has passive pickups Dimarzio Area's. Just some minor soldering required like unsoldering my old tone pot, old output jack and soldering in two wires for the spc. I watched Emg's video before I bought it and thought it was coming with a pin that needed to be soldered then the rest was solderless. My set didn't have it maybe because i got mine through musicains friend and not Emg. Having said that the wiring was simple. I just took off the quick connector off one wire then stripped it and soldered those ends to the output and ground of the pot. The rest of the install was solderless after that.Simple enough. Although after i was done I realized i could have kept my master tone pot still wired up but I didn't. Dooh! My strat originally had master vol and a master tone and the third pot wasn't connected. Now it's Master vol,SPC, unconnected third pot. So far I'm digging it. It really seems to up the mids and the output quite a bit with my Dimarzios. Very mid 80's-00 Gilmourian when it's used with the neck pick up. FYI if you were thinking of getting one of these you might want to do it quickly. Even though i got mine for $47 on MF, EMG's website as well as Sweetwater have raised the price to $79!
Pieces Of The Night
Gold Member

Previous

Return to Guitars/Basses