[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
StompBoxZone • View topic - Boss DD-2 / DD-3 repair notes - questions and discussion

Boss DD-2 / DD-3 repair notes - questions and discussion

Boss DD-2 / DD-3 repair notes - questions and discussion

Postby Laurie » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:06 pm

I originally posted an old copy of these notes, however, pepe has been kind enough to copy the thread from BossArea when the site was up... scroll down for the notes.

For a clean version of the repair notes, click here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3202
Laurie
Multi Platinum Member
BossArea Multi Platinum Member

Re: Boss DD-2 / DD-3 repair notes

Postby Pepe » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:03 pm

Google had the update in its cache. I searched for the DD-2/-3 notes two weeks ago. ;)
Pepe
Multi Platinum Member
BossArea Double Platinum Member

Postby Laurie » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:08 pm

"Thanks Laurie" ... you're welcome pepe.
Laurie
Multi Platinum Member

Postby Pepe » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:09 am

Didn't I say so? :)
Pepe
Multi Platinum Member

Postby Pepe » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:25 pm

The Bossarea Forum works at the moment, so I thought I might copy the whole topic inside this one:

DD-2 and DD-3 repair notes

Printed from: Bossarea Forum
Topic URL: http://www.bossarea.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11240
Printed on: 12/15/2011

Topic:

Topic author: Laurie
Subject: DD-2 and DD-3 repair notes
Posted on: 10/31/2010 18:13:50
This thread is to summarize what we have been finding with these pedals as a resource to people who are attempting to repair them.

I will add to this list as more faults+fixes become known.

Regards,
Laurie.

As always, any of this is done at your own risk and expense - this information is provided with no warranty of any kind.
If you don't feel comfortable to proceed, then please don't.

October 2010

DD-2 and long-chip DD-3

There are more and more dead and sick DD-2 and long-chip DD-3 pedals turning up as they get older and older.

The following list is in the order that I have found to be most common for the DD-2 and long-chip DD-3.

Here is one source for the schematic: http://www.hobby-hour.com/electronics/s/dd2-delay.php

1) Failed capacitors.

SYMPTOM: echoes go up in volume with each repeat and eventually turn into a distorted mess.

CAUSE: C31 (10µF) fails causing the compressor half of the compander to stop working. This allows the expander half to continually expand the signal, raising the volume and turning it into a distorted mess.

SOLUTION: Replace all electrolytic capacitors around the compander – C31, C30, C34. Use tantalum if normal can electros don’t fit.

2) Failed D6.

SYMPTOM: pedal is completely dead. Visible burning around the legs of D6 and nearby tracks.

CAUSE: incorrect AC adapter. MORAL: always use a Boss PSA adapter!

SOLUTION: Replace D6 with an 11V (or 12V) 1W Zener. There will almost always be a need to carefully repair the tracks around D6 – the tracks are quite thin and will burn out when D6 burns out.

See here for a repaired DD-2: http://www.bossarea.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7039

POSSIBLE COLLATERAL DAMAGE: If D6 has failed short circuit on an external supply and then the pedal is checked using a battery, the current delivered by the battery into the short circuit can sometimes burn out the contacts in the DC input jack and this jack will need to be replaced. One symptom of this is that, once repaired, the pedal works on the PSA power supply but does not work on battery.

3) Failed “mode” switch.

POSSIBLE SYMPTOMS: pedal fails to turn on, pedal only works in “hold” mode, pedal LED comes on but no sound. The only way to know for sure is to use a meter and test the switch in all positions.

CAUSE: age/abuse.

SOLUTION: Order a new switch from Roland and replace.

4) Broken wires.

POSSIBLE SYMPTOMS: no sound, failure to turn on.

CAUSE: Almost always caused by someone swinging the board out too many times.

SOLUTION: Visual inspection, plus GENTLY pull each wire to see if it is still firmly connected. Re-solder those that are broken.

5) Q9 leads broken.

SYMPTOM: No delayed sound. Signal is present at the emitter of Q10, but not at C34.

CAUSE: some pedals have Q9 bent over in the factory to make it fit in the case. This stresses the legs and over time one breaks off.

SOLUTION: Replace Q9. Almost any small signal NPN transistor will do (take care with the pin-outs).

6) Master clock fails.

SYMPTOM: No sound. Use a scope to check the clock is running (pin 63 of the long-chip). The waveform is NOT meant to be “clean” – as long as it is there.

CAUSE: Unknown.

SOLUTION: Replace U8. Note that this must be a “HC” spec TTL chip.

Dec 2010

DD-3 "digital" (SMD) - fault is "popping" noise on repeats with hot signal. See this thread: http://www.bossarea.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11545

Replies:

Reply author: Scarymonsta
Replied on: 10/31/2010 19:40:12
Reply author: cctsim
Replied on: 10/31/2010 19:56:01
Encyclopedic DD-3 debugging !

Already printed for my notes, many thanks.

Reply author: ChristoMephisto
Replied on: 10/31/2010 22:17:15
This needs to be a sticky

Good work again Laurie

Reply author: nathanscribe
Replied on: 10/31/2010 22:19:22
Nice one Laurie. Just for extra info, these notes can be adapted to fit the RDD-10 and RDD-20 microrack delay units, as they are basically an expanded DD-2/longchip DD-3 in a bigger box.

Reply author: Dr. Bob
Replied on: 11/01/2010 04:39:51
Hi Laurie

As always, thanks for your technical knowledge, diagnostic skills,
& willingness to share your findings with others in the comunity.

And as suggested by Christo, this is now a Sticky Item.

We should also add that all repairs are done at the owners onus,
and the owner &/or repair Tech take all responsibility,
for the repair actions, quality & outcome.

Regards Dr. Bob - Moderator

Reply author: One-Way
Replied on: 11/24/2010 05:50:03

I took this pic a while back and traced and labelled the I.C's transistors,and electrolytics so I could follow the circuit schematic and identify the parts on the board. Thought it might be useful for others troubleshooting as the printed circuit board is so crowded its hard to trace some of the components.
I still havent got around to looking at my non-working DD3 yet. Laurie you havent got a possible fault for a pedal that the light works but only passes a clean guitar signal with light off or on.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g111/ ... CF3040.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Replied on: 11/24/2010 11:25:45
Hi One-Way

First of all, nice to see you back.

Would you mind if I brought this picture over to your
uploads folder here on Bossare?

As sometimes the links see to go away with that site.

And I will link it back into your post for all to see.

Regards Dr. Bob

Reply author: Laurie
Replied on: 11/24/2010 14:24:54
quote:Originally posted by One-Way
Laurie you havent got a possible fault for a pedal that the light works but only passes a clean guitar signal with light off or on.

THat could be many things...

Trace the delayed signal path - see if you can see/hear it at each of these points:

- IC4 pin 1
- IC3 pin 7 (will contain digital noise - this is OK)
- IC5 pin 7 (will contain digital noise - this is OK)
- IC6 pin 6 (will contain digital noise - this is OK)
- IC4 pin 10 (will be clean)
- Emitter of Q10
- Emitter of Q9
- C29 (either side)

I've seen Q9 fail (leg broken) a couple of times. This leads to clean signal only.

Reply author: One-Way
Replied on: 11/25/2010 04:59:31
Hi laurie,
I would be happy for the pic to be posted on Bossarea so that it could be used to help others troubleshooting.
Thanks for the pointers as to what could be the potential problem/s with the pedal. I will have another look at it.
Derek

Reply author: Laurie
Replied on: 11/25/2010 05:03:07
Sure! These threads are completly open. Post whatever seems reasonable

Replied on: 11/25/2010 13:45:40
Picture now served from Bossarea.
Thanks to member One-Way.

Reply author: Dirk_Hendrik
Replied on: 12/24/2010 10:03:05
Great thread!

Regarding the electolits,
Replace all 10uF caps. If one failed, usually caused by leaking, they usually all do. Do clean the solderpads after desoldering the caps thoroughly and apply plenty of solderflux when soldering in the new ones.

Reply author: 71Smallbox
Replied on: 01/22/2011 01:27:37
I have a Square chip DD-3 that no longer produces delay sound but signal still passes through it, any debugging suggestions for this particular unit? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply author: smokeygreavous
Replied on: 02/21/2011 17:05:27
quote:Originally posted by One-Way

Hi laurie,
I would be happy for the pic to be posted on Bossarea so that it could be used to help others troubleshooting.
Thanks for the pointers as to what could be the potential problem/s with the pedal. I will have another look at it.
Derek

Have you had any luck with this yet One-Way? I've got the same problem but dont have any equipment to test with/money to take it to get repaired!

Reply author: Bhoda
Replied on: 03/01/2011 23:22:28
Hi,

tumbled on a DD-2 last month for a very good price (5 vintage Boss pedals with BCB-6), but the DD-2 only seemed to work with a battery. With the adapter the DD-2 would only work in the hold mode and pressing down the pedal. Now the DD-2 won't work with a battery at all, only in daisy chain when I press hold. Inside I noticed that the blue wire from the AC is disconnected (see picture red circle). Is this causing the problem and where must it be soldered onto (Could it be on the Input of the jack)? O is the switch also a problem?

Download Attachment: IMG_0921.jpg
173.09 KB

Reply author: zestystrat
Replied on: 03/24/2011 19:36:09
Great thread Laurie! Thx for putting this info up!

Looks like my big chip DD-3 may hit the stage again!

Reply author: theSeeker
Replied on: 04/10/2011 06:28:08
Great thread here. My DD-3 would pass a clean signal and when switched on, would only have a few distorted repeats at the longest delay time settings. I replaced C31 and C34 and still had similar output with some popping sound. I had some bad luck on C31 and have a white wire in place for now, until I can do a better repair of teh trace. I then replaced C18 and tonight there is no delay, only a clean signal when switched on and off. The controls have no affect on the sound. Any suggestions on what to try next?

Reply author: Jimmy-H
Replied on: 04/13/2011 18:28:30
Hi Lauri, great notes!
It did help to repair my DD-3.
Everytime I had solved one problem, a next problem would apear.
So Dirk already mentioned to replace al 10uF caps, because if one failes the next will fail in a short time.
I also noticed the 1uF caps will fail.
I had the same problem theSeeker had.
I replaced the 1uF caps in the signal path.
Now I have a great working delay!
So in short: it's advisible to replace all electrolit caps!
I also had a DD-3 repaired wich had only distorted repeats wich became louder and louder.
It had a failing C33 (Tantal 0.68uF).

Reply author: theSeeker
Replied on: 04/27/2011 07:27:49
I finally repaired the trace on C31 and mine is working again! Makes me wonder how the other caps aren't dead. Next time I order parts I am going to replace all of the electrolytics just to make sure its good for the next 20 years.

Reply author: ChristoMephisto
Replied on: 05/11/2011 15:20:28
Knew this thread would come in handy.
My long chip DD3 started doing that louder echo to distortion thing
Didn't notice for a long time cause I have a low-cut mod (.047/.22) on a toggle switch that cuts back the echo to begin with. When I switched the mod off, you can hear the faulty sound.
Opened it up and could see that C34 had become leaky with residue around the leads. Swapped it for a tant and it's all good to go

Reply author: stinkfoot
Replied on: 05/24/2011 18:09:43
quote:Originally posted by Bhoda

Hi,

tumbled on a DD-2 last month for a very good price (5 vintage Boss pedals with BCB-6), but the DD-2 only seemed to work with a battery. With the adapter the DD-2 would only work in the hold mode and pressing down the pedal. Now the DD-2 won't work with a battery at all, only in daisy chain when I press hold. Inside I noticed that the blue wire from the AC is disconnected (see picture red circle). Is this causing the problem and where must it be soldered onto (Could it be on the Input of the jack)? O is the switch also a problem?

Download Attachment: IMG_0921.jpg
173.09 KB

That's the ground wire from the adapter jack input, so it should go to ground. However, the DD-2 really should have an additional small circuit board attached to the adapter jack - this one seems to have had its adapter jack replaced at some point. But try connecting the blue wire to ground - that's where it should ultimately end up.

Reply author: fretzburner
Replied on: 06/23/2011 14:45:40
My DD3a is having noise problem.when effect engaged i can't barely hear the guitar sound because of very loud noise just like pink noise.it increase with the level control and respond to time control.There is delayed sound but almost not audible because of the noise.I also noticed no direct out and found Q8 no out.Removed Q8.In bypass mode sound is normal.Please give me some hints.Thanks
Pepe
Multi Platinum Member

Postby Pepe » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:51 pm

I recently got another DD-2.

Symptoms: LED is dim when in power supply mode, doesn't light at all (so it seems) in battery mode; delay sound distorts when input quite high (but not too loud at all); apart from that everything works great.

What I'm going to do: Replacing the electrolytic capacitors.

Anything else I should look for?
Pepe
Multi Platinum Member

Postby Laurie » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:37 pm

Laurie
Multi Platinum Member

Postby Cobra94 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:29 am

I have just picked up an RV-3 that has a similar problem #1 "Failed caps" as the dd's. Is there a similar fix to this or because of the different chipset it's good for the garbage?
Cobra94
Copper Member

Postby Laurie » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:11 pm

Don't know about the RV-3... it's worth changing the caps and seeing if it comes good.
Laurie
Multi Platinum Member

Postby slash3082 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:18 am

[b]I i'm Mario from italy, this forum is very good!!! :)[b]
I've a problem with Boss dd3 smd... the works well but... i listen in the end of deleyed signal.. a distortion ... i replace all visible elctrolytic caps also 2 rectifier caps of the compandor, 0.68u tantalium.. but the distortion won't disappear...
can you help me?? :))
slash3082
New User

Next

Return to Technical Questions/Discussions