[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
StompBoxZone • View topic - Boss Solderless kit

Boss Solderless kit

Boss Solderless kit

Postby Gasgano » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:54 pm

Well, I bought one. Wanted to clean up the bass board.

Will keep you posted. If this works I'll buy more for the guitar board. (If I have time to post anything before the end...)
Gasgano
Silver Member

Re: Boss Solderless kit

Postby Gasgano » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:10 pm

Bass board is complete.

It's super clean, works as advertized. I am pleased!
Gasgano
Silver Member

Postby Pepe » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:03 am

Pictures. please! :)
Pepe
Multi Platinum Member
BossArea Double Platinum Member

Postby Gasgano » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:48 am

Don't worry Pepe, I was working on them. I just wanted to make sure I could post something (since the clock is ticking) so I wanted to post as I was doing it haha. :lol:

The board is super clean (it shows especially in the back, as all the excess patch cable was hidden under), to the point I actually won an extra space on the Pedaltrain nano+. I forgot to take a picture of a patch cable I had built outside of the board to show the final result of a cable itself. Will try adding it tonight when I'm back from work and the kids are asleep :P .

To be perfectly honest, it takes a little practice to get it right. I nailed the first one and then failed the next 3. You need to get a feel for when the contact is good and the wire is pushed far enough. This video helped tremendously. I can see myself being as pissed as he is trying to make this work.

After using his tricks correctly (pulling the slack in the jacket on one side, cutting straight with an exacto knife, slicing the jacket a little, push into the connector and repeat on the other side) and getting the feel for what was a solid contact, I went a perfect 5 in a row (built a few spares just in case). Pretty sure I got the hang of it now and will not fail in the future. I have seen a lot of people mad at the system, saying it's crap and they have a noticeable volume drop. I have not felt that. Even better: I don't think my signal was ever this good. I'm pretty sure a solderless system's quality is very reliant on who builds the cable, much like a soldered kit.

It's no magical system (it need to be used with attention and care), but it works as advertized and The Musicman Sterling 5 likes the setup. :lama:
Gasgano
Silver Member

Postby Dirk » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:55 am

That looks cool! :thumbs:
Dirk
Double Platinum Member

Postby BearBoy » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:30 pm

Very neat and compact :thumbs:
BearBoy
Gold Member

Postby Gasgano » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:36 pm

Gasgano
Silver Member

Postby Dirk » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:08 pm

Dirk
Double Platinum Member

Postby Gasgano » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:22 am

I don't "need" compression. I actually hate compressing my signal. It's too flat for me. Matter of preference I guess...

The DD-3 is there for one song lol. I actually only own one and it's usually on the guitar board, so I'll give you that one for sure! :rofl:
Gasgano
Silver Member

Postby Gasgano » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:06 pm

OK. So.

Pictures of the actual CABLES. Right off the bat, you can see the cable is thin and very flexible. The connectors are also pretty compact, so that's a real space saver. I can save one Boss pedal spot on an 18 inches to 24 inches board. On a Pedal train nano+, that's one spot. On a Pedaltrain metro 20 or metro 24, that's 1 spot.

On a Pedaltrain classic 2, that's TWO more pedals just because of the smaller cables. I dig it.

That does not even mention all the extra cable hanging underneath the board that needed management before (look how much shorter my patches are compared to the ones I used to have, side by side for comparison). I really tried this set with the bass board but the plan is to also do the guitar board at some point. I told myself I would start small in case building the cables was a pain in the ass.

I will be buying the bigger set for the guitar board when I am decided on what I will do as far as thinning the herd.
Gasgano
Silver Member

Next

Return to Boss Pedals