The Holy Trinity: VB-2, SP-1, SG-1

The Holy Trinity: VB-2, SP-1, SG-1

Postby Joske_Turbo » Wed May 16, 2018 7:37 am

Hello everybody

After years of being mainly a player my tendency to collect Boss pedals is quickly coming back over the last few months.
I'm still a student now and I never have much money, but in the long term I would love to get my hands on the three most rare Boss pedals, but at the moment I really can't see myself paying the ridiculous prices for them.
A question for you guys, just out of interest, as I know some of you are proud owners of these: how did you get them? Were you very lucky or did you pay the standard price? I'm curious to hear your stories!
Joske_Turbo
Silver Member
BossArea Gold Member

Re: The Holy Trinity: VB-2, SP-1, SG-1

Postby tbader » Wed May 16, 2018 9:01 pm

I have and love the VB-2, but I would never pay anywhere close to asking prices for one.

I got really lucky when I found my VB-2. An online website had it incorrectly listed as a VB-2w at the used VB-2w price of $160. It had the box and manual, as well.

And, I have little interest in the SP-1 or SG-1...especially at those prices.

I’d pick the PQ-4 over the SP-1, and a volume pedal over the SG-1 any day of the week.
tbader
Silver Member

Postby tbader » Wed May 16, 2018 9:04 pm

Here’s a pic, just for the fun of it.

tbader
Silver Member

Postby Mark123 » Thu May 17, 2018 12:30 am

To be so lucky to find one one for cheap (and actually get a hold of it) you'd have to be monitoring your local second hand list day and night. I once saw a vb-2 listed for 50 euros and offered 100 by email (don't start bidding online) and actually got it. Which was a miracle I think and the seller must have been a man of his word. In most cases I guess you won't get the pedal and it might be a frustrating affair.
I sold mine after a month or two for twice what I paid. I could have gotten more but it is now in the hands of a touring pro, and I like that (rather than in a drawer).
They're not the most useful of pedals, that's why they are rare. It'd be best to stay away from collecting, if you can :-)

Verstuurd vanaf mijn D5803 met Tapatalk
Last edited by Mark123 on Thu May 17, 2018 10:45 am, edited 3 times in total.
Mark123
Silver Member

Postby Pepe » Thu May 17, 2018 12:48 am

I bought an AW-2 and a VB-2 for 60 EUR in total including shipping two years ago. The seller thought the VB-2 was defective - it wasn't. Very nice pedal with cool features, but I had no real use for it. So I sold it and I have no real interest in buying a VB-2w.

A friend of mine loaned me the SG-1 to do a (pretty popular) demo. For my normal guitar playing I have absolutely no use for an SG-1. I would never ever pay 300 EUR for such a pedal. Take an NF-1, mod it to SG-1 specs and you have an affordable Slow Gear model. It can be that easy - if you're not a collector.

The SP-1 is something that I might like to try as well, but just like tbader I think that the PQ-4 is superior to the rare red pedal.
Pepe
Multi Platinum Member
BossArea Double Platinum Member

Postby The_Doc » Thu May 17, 2018 6:44 am

I am lucky enough to have all three and each one came from members of this forum :thumbs:

It happened over a period of a couple of years and I guess I was fortunate to be in a position to buy them when they came up for sale. As always, the transactions were 100% perfect and I think I paid roughly market prices at that time. The sellers should answer that one really I guess :rofl: :rofl:

I never regretted adding them to the collection and I’m still on the lookout for a boxed SP-1 and VB-2 ... some chance ! :roll:
The_Doc
Gold Member
BossArea Gold Member

Postby bossarea » Thu May 17, 2018 8:25 am

I paid about $250-$300 each on Ebay. None of them had boxes or manual.
Kept them for about 10 years and sold them 2015/16 for about the same price as I bought them for.
bossarea
Silver Member
BossArea Founder

Postby visserman » Tue May 22, 2018 7:07 am

Hmmm I think we hear similar things here: When you want any of those pedals you will have to fork out the asking price. Some may be lucky but most of us will agree that is what they had to do to get them.

Are they worth it? Of course not, they are simply pedals, but that is another matter.

Most of those pedals create sounds which you can find in other pedals as well. Most of my curiosity comes from that fact: Once You know, you will be able to create those sounds in other ways.

Personally I feel the VB-2 may be the most usable one, but anyone does have his own idea.

There is also the question: Are you a player or a collector, or a bit of both?
What I would suggest to anyone is: Find a friend who has one of those, and see if you can borrow it for a little while. Using it yourself is the best experience and will answer you the question whether you really like to own one for yourself or not.
visserman
Gold Member
BossArea Platinum Member

Postby Markob » Tue May 22, 2018 11:01 am

I could't agree more with visserman. Well said.

I'm a "bit of both" and agree that the VB-2 may be the most usable one of the three. Will the pedal sound as good as a vintage Fender harmonic, bias-modulated or photo-cell? Probabley not? Maybe? Ear of the beholder. I have Fender amps with each of these. I love them all for different reasons and have no real "need" for a VB-2. But I'd snatch one up in a minute if the time was right.
Markob
New User

Postby Pepe » Tue May 22, 2018 11:36 am

The VB-2 sounds so clean and clear as if it the signal went through the best digital sound processors. It has nothing in common with the vintage sound of the Fender circuits. For an early '80s and analog pedal it is purely overwhelming.
Pepe
Multi Platinum Member
BossArea Double Platinum Member

Next

Return to Boss Pedals