[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
StompBoxZone • View topic - SHELF LIFE of vintage pedals?

SHELF LIFE of vintage pedals?

SHELF LIFE of vintage pedals?

Postby Pieraga » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:08 am

Hi, I just started the hobby/addiction of collecting Boss stompboxes,

I place them individually in ziplocks then I keep them in a cabinet,

I was wondering if there will be a time that my pedal collection would die??, even if they are sealed and kept safe... :cry:
Pieraga
Silver Member

Re: SHELF LIFE of vintage pedals?

Postby charmonder » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:18 am

ziplock bags is a good idea so there's no dust in the pots.
charmonder
Gold Member

Postby Pieraga » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:28 am

what's keeping me off from buying rare pricey pedals is the thought of: would they die after keeping them for another 20-30 years?,
Pieraga
Silver Member

Postby Dirk » Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:09 am

Since your talking electronics and not groceries, they'll probably live. :lol:

Keeping them in a closed closet away from dust won't hurt anything though.
This has got to be one of the stranger questions we got here! ;)
Dirk
Double Platinum Member
BossArea Double Platinum Member

Postby Pieraga » Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:19 am

Pieraga
Silver Member

Postby Laurie » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:14 am

Long-term storage is somewhat problematic...

1) VERY important - ensure the bag you store the pedal in is acid-free and "archival" quality. For my old collection I used to use archive quality 3-ring binder inserts - cheap and readily available. I can NOT confirm these are good for the long term, but they seemed to work for the years I had my collection.

2) The "rubber" on the treadle, base and the guide-bushing will eventually dry out and perish. I haven't found a solution to that. If you seal the bag the pedal is stored in it will keep the volatiles from the "rubber" in the bag and might help, but I've always wondered what that might do to the electronics... Not sure what to do about this other than endure it.

3) The Electrolytic capacitors will dry out. Taking the pedal out regularly and using it will help, but eventually the component values will drift or the capacitor will fail. Replacing them is easy, but then it isn't a "full vintage" pedal any more. In the amplifier world there is acceptance of re-capping old amps. I'm not convinced that this acceptance exists in the pedal world.

4) The contacts on the jacks will corrode. Any pedal that has been used has this risk. I used to spray the jacks with contact cleaner and when I pulled the pedal out to use it "exercise" the jacks - insert and remove a plug a dozen times - this removes the oxide build-up.

5) The nuts and washers on the jacks will slowly corrode. This happens because in a used pedal repeated insertion of a plug chips the nickel finish off the nut and washer and allows rust to start. This happens whether the pedal is stored or used. I usually clean the the nut and washer then put a light coat of contact cleaner that contains oil on it.

6) The contacts in the switch may corrode. The black switches are easy to replace and if you do it carefully the replacement is invisible.

7) Pots will corrode/go scratchy. Use contact cleaner before storage and exercise the pots (turn them "lock-to-lock" a dozen times) when you regularly get the pedal out.

8) Clean the battery-snap with contact cleaner. If there has been a leaky battery in the pedal sometime in the past the acid residue will corrode the snap. Also, if you suspect there has been a leak sometime in the past, carefully clean the battery compartment.

9) All the other electronics (resistors, solid state, etc.) should be OK long term - I wouldn't expect them to deteriorate.

And... it's obvious but let me say it because it happens all the time. TAKE THE BATTERY OUT!!
Laurie
Multi Platinum Member
BossArea Multi Platinum Member

Postby Pepe » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:01 am

Pepe
Multi Platinum Member
BossArea Double Platinum Member

Postby Laurie » Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:22 pm

Laurie
Multi Platinum Member