Problem with Boss RC300 Pedal. Need Help!

Problem with Boss RC300 Pedal. Need Help!

Postby Sean2112bd » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:21 am

I recently purchased a BOSS RC 300 Looper in order to play as a one man band, however I'm encountering some problems. There is a noticeable delay between when I begin the loop and when I end the loop, and unfortunately the loops timing is not seamless. I got it to work a few times without any noticeable silence, but most of the time the timing is always off and it's very frustrating.I expected that once I begin a loop and end it the beginning of my loop would play automatically. For example, I create a drum beat and then I end the loop so the beginning of my beat will play, instead there's like 2 seconds of silence and then the beat starts and the whole loop continues that way. Is there a setting I need to adjust or is there some kind of glitch? Please help!? Any information would be beneficial.
Sean2112bd
Copper Member

Re: Problem with Boss RC300 Pedal. Need Help!

Postby Pepe » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:46 am

I know that the first Loop Stations needed a signal longer than 2 seconds to work seamlessly. If you try to create a very short loop (in this case: your single bass drum tone), there'll be a time lag. It should be written in the user's manual as well.
Pepe
Multi Platinum Member
BossArea Double Platinum Member

Postby BearBoy » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:22 am

Hi Sean.

I don't have a Boss looper but I seem to recall getting an e-mail from them not too long ago saying a software update was available for them. I think one of the fixes was something to do with delays between loops. Might be worth checking on their website that you have the latest software?
BearBoy
Silver Member

Postby Sean2112bd » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:25 am

Pepe wrote:I know that the first Loop Stations needed a signal longer than 2 seconds to work seamlessly. If you try to create a very short loop (in this case: your single bass drum tone), there'll be a time lag. It should be written in the user's manual as well.

I usually create the beat or guitar part in four measures which is longer than two seconds, so I don't believe that's the problem.

I expected the loop machine to work like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIAnibeIQYQ

If you start it from 3:26 he starts playing a phrase and then it automatically plays as soon as his foot hits the pedal, whereas when I try to do the same thing it's off by a second or two.
Sean2112bd
Copper Member

Postby Sean2112bd » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:14 am

BearBoy wrote:Hi Sean.

I don't have a Boss looper but I seem to recall getting an e-mail from them not too long ago saying a software update was available for them. I think one of the fixes was something to do with delays between loops. Might be worth checking on their website that you have the latest software?

Oh I didn't see this message! Thank you, I was just looking that up and I figured that might be what I needed to do. Do I just plug in my looper via usb after I download the update?
Sean2112bd
Copper Member

Postby BearBoy » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:20 am

The software update page for the RC-300 can be found here

Looks like there is a PDF file in the download zip explaining the update procedure (sorry, posting on my phone at the moment so cannot check).
BearBoy
Silver Member

Postby Sean2112bd » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:10 pm

I did the update. The pdf did not mention fixing the issue, but I thought I'd give it a shot anyway. Unfortunately, I have the same problem so I'm back to square one. I might have to call customer support and if I have no luck there then I'm gonna have to return it and then maybe try another one to see if it was just a bad model. Has anyone ever had this problem with the rc300 before?
Sean2112bd
Copper Member

Postby Sean2112bd » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:02 am

I figured out the issue, and it makes sense. The timing is due to the tap tempo, every time you make a beat or a phrase it has to be within a preset tempo otherwise the timing will be completely off. So you have to tap tempo the timing first and then lay down a beat, which makes sense because the looper has to sync all the other loops in that timing. Now there's a way to do it without syncing the loops, but if your tempo is off marginally or if you press one of the other pedals too soon then everything will go out of sync and it wont sound good.

I've been able to pull off a few songs playing around with it, but I think I'm gonna return it. It's just one of those things that require too much concentration and meticulousness. Now I have a whole new respect for looper artists who can multi-task and pull off an entire performance without breaking a sweat.
Sean2112bd
Copper Member

Postby Pepe » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:50 am

Ah! You've been in tap-tempo mode all the time. Yeah, that makes sense. And yes, using a looper pedal is generally a thing you shouldn't underestimate!
Pepe
Multi Platinum Member
BossArea Double Platinum Member

Postby Sean2112bd » Sat May 04, 2013 10:25 am

So I just wanted to let everyone know I didn't return it after all :) And now I'm using it with no problem. Just a little practice was all I needed.
Sean2112bd
Copper Member

Return to Boss Pedals