Tera Echo and RE-20 Boss pedals.

Tera Echo and RE-20 Boss pedals.

Postby thedominican78 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:03 pm

Ok, so I am completely confused on these pedals. Is the Tera Echo and the RE-20 the same pedal? I mean does the RE-20 pretty much do the same thing as the Tera Echo just with more options? Also, is the RE-20 worth the money? Thanks in advance!
thedominican78
New User

Re: Tera Echo and RE-20 Boss pedals.

Postby Pepe » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:16 pm

Welcome to the forum! :thumbs:

The Tera Echo and the RE-20 are actually two very different beasts.

The RE-20 is a very good emulation of the old tape echo box Roland RE-201 "Space Echo". Those old delay units work with tape bands pretty much like a cassette player. The sound is recorded by a tape head and then played back by a few read heads, thus producing an echo. The overall sound cannot be compared to crystal clear digital processed delays. It has a flavour of its own. Analogue BBD delays like the old BOSS DM-2 (or the new DM-2w) do again have an own sound, but that's another story. I don't really want to confuse even more.

On the other side the Tera Echo is a fully digital unit that doesn't intend to sound like an analogue unit. BOSS produced this one to make a totally new sound available. I have never played one so I cannot tell you the difference from first hand experience. But it does not generate the same sound as the RE-20. Not a bit.

We're talking about apples and oranges and you have to taste it to know the difference. I think it's the best to watch a few good demos of both units at YouTube so you can hear what each one sounds like.

Small question: what do you want to achieve? What do you expect from a delay unit for your playing style?
Pepe
Multi Platinum Member
BossArea Double Platinum Member

Re: Tera Echo and RE-20 Boss pedals.

Postby thedominican78 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:15 pm

I am actually just wanting to experiment with different sounds as all. Just trying to see what I can get out of it. I was just a little confused but you cleared things up a lot. Thank you very much! I will be making a purchase!
thedominican78
New User

Return to Wiki Discussion