Forum Spam

Re: Forum Spam

Postby natthu » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:40 am

He's banned. I'm cleaning it up now.
User avatar
natthu
Double Platinum Member
BossArea Multi Platinum Member
 
Posts: 2716
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:13 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Forum Spam

Postby skugga » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:45 am

durango95 wrote:Another sweep of spam coming through right now.


I wouldn't say it's another sweep coming through, the rate has been fairly constant since the site opened.

Is this normal for a forum site? I've never seen spammers on any other site as much as I've seen it on the old BA forum and now it's showing up here. They must be getting over from Bossarea.com .


Very normal these days. Because this is an open site where anyone can register this is always going to be a problem to some extent. Spam is a big business and the spammers are usually 10 steps ahead now.

no seriously, wtf can we do about the nonsense? Because I'm sure Skugga is already considering leaving his day job to delete spammers :lol:


There are some things that can be done in the backend, I just need some time to put it in. Other than that there are some policy changes we can do on the board but each of these have their own pros and cons.
User avatar
skugga
Gold Member
Site Admin
 
Posts: 800
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:40 am
Location: Adelaide, Australia

Re: Forum Spam

Postby Alonious_Monk » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:49 pm

Lenoproon did you just spam a thread complaining about spam?!! Cheeky but...to be commended...now begone with you! :bouncy:

Edit: he's now.....begone
User avatar
Alonious_Monk
Bronze Member
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:42 pm
Location: UK

Re: Forum Spam

Postby Steam Abacus » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:18 am

skugga wrote:
There are some things that can be done in the backend, I just need some time to put it in. Other than that there are some policy changes we can do on the board but each of these have their own pros and cons.


Could you say what these policy changes might be and how successful at blocking spam they would be?

Personally, I'm getting a little tired of wading through Russian (?) spam in the lists of posts.
Do you have to manually delete each one? That would be time consuming.
User avatar
Steam Abacus
Silver Member
 
Posts: 204
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:19 pm
Location: London, UK

Re: Forum Spam

Postby natthu » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:41 pm

Steam Abacus wrote:Personally, I'm getting a little tired of wading through Russian (?) spam in the lists of posts.


There's not that much spam on this forum, and between the mods we do manage to clean it up fairly quickly...
This type of stuff happens on most forums.

Most of the non-English spam is in Polish (Latin alphabet like English, but the dead giveaway is that you'll see an "L" with a diagonal line through it - this is a character unique to Polish).
I have only seen a couple of posts in Russian (Cyrillic alphabet)
User avatar
natthu
Double Platinum Member
BossArea Multi Platinum Member
 
Posts: 2716
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:13 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Forum Spam

Postby natthu » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:05 pm

Just a quick reminder to forum members: Please do NOT reply to spam threads.

Thanks :thumbs:
User avatar
natthu
Double Platinum Member
BossArea Multi Platinum Member
 
Posts: 2716
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:13 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Forum Spam

Postby Pepe » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:21 pm

Why are there so many Russian spam bots recently? The registration form has a Captcha that you have to solve, but can today's spam bots pass them without resistance? There cannot be a human behind it to get all those Captcha's solved. If there was, he'd see our little special forum and think "Nah, let's try it elsewhere". I see no sense in that spamming at our place.
User avatar
Pepe
Multi Platinum Member
BossArea Double Platinum Member
 
Posts: 4664
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:04 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Forum Spam

Postby sclitheroe » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:06 pm

natthu wrote:
Steam Abacus wrote:Personally, I'm getting a little tired of wading through Russian (?) spam in the lists of posts.


There's not that much spam on this forum, and between the mods we do manage to clean it up fairly quickly...
This type of stuff happens on most forums.


Not to be a dick, because I appreciate the efforts involved in running this site, but this is the only forum I frequent where I see any spam - TDPRI, TGP, and Gretsch Talk, I've never seen any. It's definitely more common here for some reason (or perhaps, given fewer moderators, you guys aren't able to respond as quickly, and we just happen to see visible evidence of it more frequently)

Either way, I'm absolutely not complaining - too grateful for the community and the volunteers that facilitate it to gripe about what is a minor issue.
sclitheroe
Platinum Member
 
Posts: 1453
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:02 pm
Location: Stoney Creek

Re: Forum Spam

Postby Laurie » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:13 pm

sclitheroe wrote:perhaps, given fewer moderators, you guys aren't able to respond as quickly

Dear Dick 8-) ,
This is definitely the case.

Also what you don't see is all the spam we clean up when you aren't signed in...
User avatar
Laurie
Multi Platinum Member
BossArea Multi Platinum Member
 
Posts: 3276
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:00 am
Location: Calgary, Canada

Re: Forum Spam

Postby sclitheroe » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:06 pm

Laurie wrote:
sclitheroe wrote:perhaps, given fewer moderators, you guys aren't able to respond as quickly

Dear Dick 8-) ,
This is definitely the case.

Also what you don't see is all the spam we clean up when you aren't signed in...


Fair enough, but the user experience here is that there is more spam than elsewhere - that's all I'm trying to say. There may be less spam objectively, but subjectively it's a much higher incidence rate for the community.
sclitheroe
Platinum Member
 
Posts: 1453
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:02 pm
Location: Stoney Creek

PreviousNext

Return to Forum Announcements

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest