Re: Phased shutdown of SBZ

Postby The_Doc » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:34 am

Seconded :thumbs: Thanks Skugga.
The_Doc
Gold Member
BossArea Gold Member

Postby BearBoy » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:45 am

skugga wrote:For those that weren't members of the group, this was the last post before the group admin (not me) banned him and shut down the group yesterday.

ba_facebookgroup.jpg

Why would anyone be pleased the site is shutting down? Bizarre.
BearBoy
Gold Member

Postby Dirk » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:37 am

skugga wrote:
Dirk wrote:Maybe a dedicated members only page on one of the social media platforms is the way to move on?

There was a BossArea Facebook group. But it was basically just Jon (aka Zerksies/Fast Eddie) complaining that SBZ wasn't BA every few months but never doing anything about it. There wasn't any real pedal discussions happening.

For those that weren't members of the group, this was the last post before the group admin (not me) banned him and shut down the group yesterday.

ba_facebookgroup.jpg

Interesting... :lol:
Dirk
Double Platinum Member
BossArea Double Platinum Member

Postby Boogieman » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:55 pm

I don't do Facebook or the like. Ah well, I sure am glad when the original BA went down, SBZ was able to pick up the torch. For something that was supposed to be temporary, it is amazing that it has lasted quite a few years.

Thanks to skugga for setting this board up, the mods and everyone else for their contribution. I have learned a lot about Boss products and a few other things. I hope some day there will be another place where we can hang and talk about the next Waza pedal.

Cheers! :lager:

P.S. when BA was shut down, I was a Bronze member. Looks like I will remain a Bronze at SBZ, too. Gotta be fate.......
Boogieman
Silver Member

Postby sclitheroe » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:39 pm

Gasgano wrote::guinness: Thanks for the memories. I definitely had lots of fun and wish I had known this before.

Who will I share my pedal enthusiasm with now...

TDPRI has a decent, and relatively sane, stompbox forum - that's my other stompbox talkin hangout.
sclitheroe
Platinum Member

Postby sclitheroe » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:32 am

skugga wrote:The time cost required just doesn't add up for the amount of engagement the site gets. If it was the 2014 level of posting it'd be a different story.

I dunno man...I'm grateful for your time, the moderators time, and interactions your running of this place has provided for 7 years....But I can't help but feel like you've made this decision on your own, and turned your back on the community.

Frankly, the SSL and backend work is a flimsy excuse (especially at the technical level, you're not fooling me), especially if the site is providing value to even a few people. Tar the sucker up, throw it up on FTP, and let someone else dig in with some renewed energy. I suspect you are tired of it, I get it, it happens to everyone. But it doesn't have to happen this way, if the community doesn't want it to end this way.

This community is small enough and tight enough that I feel like you should have at least taken a poll to see what people wanted to do - if some people found this forum useful, and others had interest in keeping it going to keep them connected, you could easily have transitioned ownership to someone else. Or maybe I'm wrong and we find out nobody cares anymore, and at least, then, we know it goes into the sunset of sustain with everyone's blessing.

This is twice now that the only forum dedicated to Boss fans has had the rug pulled out from under them. Whether its two people or 200, there was no central place for a post like that fantastic recounting of the Roland Japan tour. I've not seen another site that does something like CPEWT a dozen times with no scammers, no hesitation about sending home addresses around, etc. It's different here, albeit super, super quiet.

Forgive me if I offend with this post (and who cares, really, you've already decided, so no foul on either side...), this was, by lineage, where my passion in pedals started, and I also work in the communications industry, so I put a lot of value on the power of communications; it's a passion of mine.

-Scott
sclitheroe
Platinum Member

Postby Dirk » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:40 am

skugga wrote:Zerksies/Fast Eddie

That was the same dude?! Had me fooled! :lol:
Dirk
Double Platinum Member

Postby skugga » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:34 pm

Dirk wrote:
skugga wrote:Zerksies/Fast Eddie

That was the same dude?! Had me fooled! :lol:

He also posted pretending to be Dr Bob for a few days... but those got deleted once we worked it out.

He wasn't very good at covering his tracks.
skugga
Gold Member
Site Admin

Postby Dirk » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:24 am

skugga wrote:He also posted pretending to be Dr Bob for a few days...

Now, that would be sacriligious! :evil:
Dirk
Double Platinum Member

PreviousNext

Return to Forum Announcements